Obesity is a medical condition of excess fat in an individual’s body, causing health conditions. Obesity in childhood poses immediate and future health risks. However, healthy diet plays a crucial role in overweight children by reducing the rate of weight gain, in the meantime allowing normal growth and development.
Parents, guardians and teachers could help children maintain a healthy weight by helping them develop healthy eating habits and limiting calorie-rich temptations. They could also encourage children be physically active, have reduced screen time, and get adequate sleep.
What causes obesity?
- Physical inactivity
- Poor quality diet
- Excessive eating
- Stress levels
- Environmental factors
What are the consequences?
- Type II Diabetes
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Sleep disorders
- Low self-esteem
- Behavior and learning complications
Help children develop healthy eating habits by:
- Providing plenty of vegetables, fruits, and whole-grain products.
- Including low-fat or non-fat milk or dairy products, including cheese and yogurt.
- Choosing lean meats, poultry, fish, lentils, and beans for protein.
- Encouraging to drink lots of water.
- Limiting sugary drinks.
- Limiting consumption of sugar and saturated fat.
Benefits of Physical Activity: (Recommendation= 60 min per day)
- Strengthening bones.
- Decreasing blood pressure.
- Reducing stress and anxiety.
- Increasing self-esteem.
- Helping with weight management.
As a parent, you should avoid:
- Telling your child to ‘clean their plates’
- Ordering ready-made food
- Skipping meals
- Rewarding child with desserts
As a parent, you should:
- Schedule regular meals and snacks throughout the day.
- Involve children in planning and preparing food
- Limit eating foods to the dining table, not behind a screen
- Eat with the family!
- Make the healthy meals appealing
- Encourage your child during physical activity
- Replace non healthy snacks with homemade healthy options
It is important to note that children should NOT be placed on a weight reduction diet without the consultation of a health care provider.
Contact us now and get a scientifically customized and tailored diet plan as per your child’s specific requirements and health condition.